- Located at Sutherland/Oyster Bay area
- SCHADS Level 4, Full-time (37.5 hrs a week)
Exciting opportunity to play, learn and build your career with Playgroup NSW!
Playgroup NSW connects people to strengthen child, family and community wellbeing through playing, learning and building communities of support. We are a NFP membership association, with more than 15,000 families engaged each year, and our vision over the next three years is all about making a positive difference for children.
We are currently seeking a Family Worker/Team Leader to actively engage with families and communities to promote early childhood development, playgroup and family participation through education and collaboration with professionals, community organisations and local services. You will work in partnership with families and provide assistance where necessary to gain better use of community organisations and other local services. You will primarily operate from Playgroups within the Sutherland area or within the family home where circumstances require home visits. You will specifically work with the Sutherland Supported Playgroup team to establish supported playgroups for families experiencing high levels of vulnerability including family violence, disability, mental health and poverty.
Key responsibilities include:
- Operate within a Strength Based framework which acknowledges, notices and builds upon current family strengths and competences.
- Utilise a therapeutic Play based model as the primary means of intervention with families.
- Maintain a focus on the safety and well-being of the children as part of the family.
- Assist families to build relationships with their children aimed at strengthening attachment.
- Assist families to identify and access other community resources that might support them as appropriate.
- Recognise areas of the family’s life that may require extra assistance and help the family to obtain that assistance. Be an advocate (as necessary).
- Give practical help when possible and necessary and/or assist families to explore options in meeting the practical demands of family life.
- Carry out any administrative tasks for the effective maintenance of the playgroup program.
- Identify any risks of harm to children and young people and in conjunction with the manager and the family (where possible) report concerns to the statutory bodies
Selection criteria includes:
- Tertiary qualifications and/or equivalent experience in early childhood, community development, or social work;
- Experience working with families in a mental health, family crisis or disability area;
- Experience in strength based and/or play therapy interventions;
- Strong team relationship building and interpersonal skills;
- Planning and Organisational skills with ability to manage multiple tasks with deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to work within a small multi-disciplinary team and engage with the community to achieve program objectives and organisational goals;
- National Criminal History Check/Police Check (essential);
- Working with Children Check verification letter to present on commencement (essential);
- A current driver’s licence and own fully comprehensively insured vehicle.
If you share our vision and want to help make a positive difference to children in NSW, please apply by clicking below. You will be required to answer a few simple questions, attach a cover letter addressing how you fulfill the selection criteria outlined above and a copy of your resume.
If you would like to discuss the role further prior to submitting your application, please contact Karen Van Woudenberg, Deputy CEO/Director Programs and Quality, on (02) 9684 9515.